Our Private Ketchikan Highlights Tour can take you all the way to the end of the road! You can choose from our “Menu of Highlights” below or just ask your guide to take you to their favorite places. Admission charges to the following sights, if applicable, are included in your ticket.
Menu of Highlights
Destinations north include:
- The Ward Creek hiking trail. Located 5 miles north of town. For a quick look at an old growth rainforest and salmon stream where bears are frequently seen fishing for salmon, you should allow 30 minutes from the trailhead and back.
- Totem Bight: 8 miles north and located in the same area. Totem Bight has a clan house and many totems and has access to wander the beach and explore tidal marine life. About an hour would be enough time to see this cultural highlight of Ketchikan including the gift shop.
- Settlers Cove: A popular camping and beach area for the locals, this beach is located at the very end of the road system. There is a lovely trail that crosses a salmon stream and your guide can lead you to an excellent patch of blueberry bushes with ripe blueberries and huckleberries for sampling in August. See the end of the road here!
Destinations south include:
- The Bugge Beach area is a great place to have a picnic and explore the tide pools for marine life. 30 minutes or less.
- Herring Bay and Wildlife Sanctuary has the best wildlife viewing on the road system. The salmon creek and hatchery attracts black bears, seals and eagles. Your time there depends on the available wildlife. One hour.
- The waterfall south of town is a great photo opportunity and not much further past Herring Bay. 15 min.
Destinations in town include:
- Creek Street: Walk along the boardwalk of the former red light district and visit any of the unique local shops, finishing up at the “Married Man’s Trail” where you can watch the salmon jump the falls of Ketchikan Creek. If you want to walk a lovely trail down to Creek Street, your guide can drive you to the top of Cape Fox hill to see the totem collection “Council of the Clans” and show you the trail to Creek Street. 40 minutes for the boardwalk and trail.
- The old Main School parking lot has sweeping views of the city, staircase streets, the cruise ship dock and the mountains behind.
- Make a Stop: Just jump out anyplace you see a photo opportunity, including at the salmon ladder where migrating salmon return, leaping over the ladder
Your professional guide offers you the best sights and insights. Get the best photos from places no tour bus can go, and make the most of your visit!